With chocolate glaze and steamed beets for moisture, these gluten and dairy free dense, fudgy cupcakes are to die for! Recipe from sweets_you_can_eat on Instagram!
Ingredients:Melt and Blend
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup reserved beet liquid
- 2 cups shredded beets
- 4 medium eggs plus 4 egg yolks (room temp)
- 1.5 cups coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp fine salt
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2/3 cup buckwheat flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1.5 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp finely ground coffee
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup Hacienda San Jose 65% - 80% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup toasted, sliverd almond
- Cayenne powder
- Large crystal salt
*Makes 24 cakes*
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 12-cupcake tins with paper cupcake holders-24 in total. Shred beets and quickly cook them in boiling water for 3 minutes or buy cooked beets and roughly chop them.
- Melt and Blend: Place chocolate chunks and 2/3 cup beet liquid in a small microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Let chocolate sit in the hot liquid for 2 minutes while they melt. Once melted, add 2 cups shredded cooked beets and chocolate into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, about 1.5 minutes.
- Whisk: In a separate large bowl add 4 eggs yolks, coconut sugar, vanilla, and salt. Using hand mixer, whisk eggs and sugar on high speed for 2 minutes until batter has doubled in volume and the sugar is dissolved.
- When the eggs are whisked, use a spatula to fold in the chocolate-beet-mixture. Gently mix to retain air bubbles in the batter.
- Add: Dry ingredients into the wet batter: almond flour, buckwheat flour, cocoa powder, ground coffee, flaxseed, cinnamon, cayenne pepper and baking soda. Stir until no lumps remain.
- Scoop cake batter into prepared cupcake tins, fill all 24 evenly. Bake for 14 minutes or until the tops spring back when gently pressed. Once cakes come out of the oven, let them cool for 20 minutes.
- Glaze: Combine chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl and microwave to 1 - 1.5 minutes. Remove and stir to combine into a glossy smooth chocolate coating.
- Topping: Toast slivered almonds in the oven at 350 degrees - on a tray for about 4 minutes until they begin to turn light brown.
- Hold each cooled cake with your fingers on the sides and dip the top into the glaze to cover with the shiny, smooth glaze. Repeat for all 24 cakes. Set them right side up on a plate to set. Add a few slivered almonds in the center of each cake and sprinkle with a dash of cayenne and large crystal salt which will stick to the glaze.